The purpose of the Advancement Committee is to protect
the public and the medical profession by ensuring that the academic standards of the Larner College of Medicine are upheld. It is composed of nine faculty members and a student from each class who review the academic progress of the medical students. The Committee reviews student performance at regular intervals and determines whether classes of students should advance among the levels of the Vermont Integrated Curriculum (Foundations
Year 1, Foundations Year 2, Clerkship, and Advanced Integration). It sends to the College Faculty the names of candidates to be recommended for graduation. The Committee also determines the course of action for individual students who fail
to show sufficient academic progress during their studies.
There are four student members (one from each class) that serve on the Committee as full voting members. To prevent conflict of interest, student members are required to abstain from voting on advancement decisions pertaining their own class. The
Committee meets approximately ten times per year. With the exception of the global graduation recommendations, the proceedings of the Committee are strictly confidential and its voting members do not advise or advocate for individual students.
The Associate Dean for Students is an ex officio, non-voting member of the Committee who serves as the student advocate during the proceedings.
Applicability of the Policy
All Medical Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
- 9.6 Setting Standards of Achievement
- 9.9 Student Advancement and Appeal Process
- 10.3 Policies Regarding Student Selection/Progress and Their Dissemination
- 1/22/2003 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 6/22/2004 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 5/20/2014 Policy Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 12/19/2017 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 9/18/2018 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 6/16/2020 Policy Reformatted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 1/26/2021 Policy Edited/Re-titled [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Associate/Assistant Dean for Students (Student Services Coordinator)
Previous | Next