Lived First Name and Pronoun


All students at the University of Vermont can indicate their lived names and/or pronouns to the University community regardless of whether or not they have legally changed their name. Please Note: lived names are used solely for UVM's internal systems; external systems (such as home town newspapers, official transcripts, enrollment verification) will continue to use legal names.

In addition to noting places where lived names and legal names are used, the University provides detailed information about how to:

  • Update your lived names and/or pronouns
  • Keep your legal names private
  • Change your CATcard
  • Change your UVM email address


For Larner College of Medicine Students


Please note that OASIS does not display information about a student's sex or gender. Rather, the LCOM student information system includes only the pronouns selected by the student via the UVM directory. 

Places Where Lived Names are Used:

  • In OASIS
  • LCOM Name Tag
  • UVMMC Badge
  • White Coat

Places Where Legal Name are Used:

  • Programs for Public Events
  • Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE) -- Your legal names will appear with a reference to your lived names in the introduction if these names differ. The faculty-written narrative assessments included in the MSPE will use your lived names.


Name Changes

The process for officially changing names with the institution begins in the University Registrar's Office. If a student legally changes their name and would like education records to reflect the new name, they must complete a Name Change Form and return it (by mail, fax or in person) with two acceptable forms of identification to the UVM Registrar's Office in the Waterman Building. Acceptable forms of identification include a driver's license, marriage certificate, Social Security card, passport, or court document.

Changing Your UVMMC Badge

UVMMC badges are created for medical students in the summer of their incoming year using the myUVM information that they are required to review and update by July 1 as part of their matriculation requirements. Changing your badge after this date incurs a nominal fee paid directly to UVMMC. To change your badge:

  • Update your myUVM information
  • Email your request to the UVMMC Badge Office with Student Services copied
  • The Office of Medical Student Education will confirm that your information has been updated in our systems to the badge office
  • The badge office will notify you when it is ready to pick up at UHC where you will pay for the replacement identification.

Changing Your Larner College of Medicine Name Tag

As with UVMMC badges, LCOM name tags are created for medical students prior to their arrival at Orientation using the myUVM information that they are required to review and update by July 1 as part of their matriculation requirements. If you wish to request a replacement name tag:

  • Update your myUVM information (if you are requesting name tag after changing your name)
  • Email your request for a new name tag to Student Services
  • Student Services will confirm that your information has been updated, and will place an order for a new name tag. Student Services will then notify you when the replacement identification is ready to pick up at the Office of Medical Student Education.
    • Please Note: If you ordered a name tag replacement due to loss, damage, or a name change, you will need to pay a replacement fee to pick up the badge (checks payable to "The University of Vermont"). Individual name tag prices are posted on our name tag vendor's web page (Maple Landmark). Please indicate if you need a new magnetic backing for your name tag; $0.75 is added to the base price for one name tag for the cost of the magnetic backing.

Changing Your UVM ID Card

UVM identification cards may be obtained through the UVM CATcard Office.

Changing Your LCOM Email Address

  • Update your myUVM information
  • Submit a footprint to the College of Medicine Electronic Help Desk to change your LCOM email address.
  • To change your username, you must change your UVM NetID prior to submitting the footprint.