Lived First Name and Pronoun
All students at the University of Vermont can indicate their lived name and pronoun to the University community regardless of whether or not they have legally changed their name. Please Note: lived name is used solely for UVM's internal systems; external
systems (such as home town newspapers, official transcripts, enrollment verification) will continue to use the legal first name.
In addition to noting places where lived first names and legal first names are used, the UVM Office of the Registrar provides detailed information about how to:
- Update your lived name and pronoun
- Keep your legal name private
- Change your CATcard
- Change your UVM email address
For Larner College of Medicine Students
Please note that OASIS does not display information about a student's sex or gender. Rather, the LCOM student information system includes only the pronoun selected by the student via myUVM.
Places Where Lived First Name is Used:
- In OASIS
- LCOM Name Tag
- UVMMC Badge
- White Coat
Places Where Legal First Name is Used:
- Programs for Public Events
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
The process for officially changing names with the institution begins in the University Registrar's Office. If a student legally changes their name and would like education records to reflect the new name, they must complete a Name Change Form and
return it (by mail, fax or in person) with two acceptable forms of identification to the UVM Registrar's Office in the Waterman Building. Acceptable forms of identification include a driver's license, marriage certificate,
Social Security card, passport, or court document.
Changing Your UVMMC Badge
UVMMC badges are created for medical students in the summer of their incoming year using the myUVM information that they are required to review and update by July 1 as part of their matriculation requirements. Changing your badge after this date incurs
a nominal fee paid directly to UVMMC. To change your badge:
- Update your myUVM information
- Email your request to the UVMMC Badge Office with Student Services copied
- The Office of Medical Student Education will confirm that your information has been updated in our systems to the badge office
- The badge office will notify you when it is ready to pick up at UHC where you will pay for the replacement identification.
Changing Your Larner College of Medicine Name Tag
As with UVMMC badges, LCOM name tags are created for medical students prior to their arrival at Orientation using the myUVM information that they are required to review and update by July 1 as part of their matriculation requirements. If you wish
to request a replacement name tag:
- Update your myUVM information (if you are requesting name tag after changing your name)
- Email your request for a new name tag to Student Services
- Student Services will confirm that your information has been updated, and will place an order for a new name tag. Student Services will then notify you when the replacement identification is ready to pick up at the Office of Medical Student Education.
- Please Note: If you ordered a name tag replacement due to loss, damage, or a name change, you will need to pay a replacement fee to pick up the badge (checks payable to "The University of Vermont"). Individual name tag prices are posted on our name tag vendor's web page (Maple Landmark). Please indicate if you need a new magnetic backing for your name tag;
$0.75 is added to the base price for one name tag for the cost of the magnetic backing.
Changing Your UVM ID Card
UVM identification cards may be obtained through the UVM CATcard Office.
Changing Your LCOM Email Address
- Update your myUVM information
- Submit a footprint to the College of Medicine Electronic Help Desk to change your LCOM email address.
- To change your username, you must change your UVM NetID prior to submitting the footprint.