The Robert Larner, M.D. College of Medicine at the University of Vermont limits the number of visiting students accommodated in its medical education program in order to ensure the availability of sufficient resources to matriculated medical students.
Regarding visiting medical students, the Larner College of Medicine does the following:
- Verifies the credentials of each visiting medical student (Departmental Student Coordinator)
- Ensures that each visiting medical student demonstrates qualifications comparable to those of the medical students they would join in educational experiences (Departmental Student Coordinator)
- Maintains a complete roster of visiting students (Visiting Student Electives Coordinator via the AAMC’s Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS))
- Approves each visiting medical student’s assignments (Departmental Student Coordinator)
- Provides a performance assessment for each visiting medical student (Clinical Department Medical Education Coordinator, contact information listed on the Information for Visiting Students webpage)
- Establishes health-related protocols whereby visiting students must meet the same immunization requirements as Larner College of medicine
students and are informed via an electronic “welcome letter” about student exposure policies and procedures.
The administrative office that fulfills each of these responsibilities is noted in parentheses above.
Please refer to the Information for Visiting Students webpage for additional details and resources are provided for visiting
Important Policy and Procedure Information
Visiting students should be aware of and understand the mechanisms for reporting mistreatment as described in the “welcome letter” received
prior to enrollment.
All visiting medical students are informed of student exposure policies and procedures before undertaking any educational activities that would
place them at risk. In the event of an injury or exposure, visiting students should follow this policy as well as any procedures required by the home school.
Applicability of the Policy
Advanced Integration Level Visiting Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
- 3.5 Student Mistreatment
- 5.10 Resources Used by Transfer/Visiting Students
- 10.8 Visiting Students
- 12.8 Student Exposure Policies/Procedures
- 4/21/2020 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 9/20/2022 Policy Edit [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Associate/Assistant Dean for Students (Visiting Student Electives Coordinator)
Previous | Next