Osteoporosis Update for Primary Care will be held at the Hampton Inn in Colchester, VT on September 7, 2018. Featuring faculty from the UVM Health Network, the conference is designed to improve the skills of primary care physicians and members of the healthcare team as they are often the first to encounter patients who have, or who are at risk of developing, osteoporosis. The objective of this conference is to equip the healthcare team with updated knowledge on issues related to osteoporosis and to provide practical and updated strategies for assessment and treatment. There will be opportunities for small group discussion. A wide spectrum of diagnostic, management and treatment options will be presented.
- Osteoporosis Treatment and Fracture Prevention: The Role of Diet, Exercise and Supplements
- Medications for Osteoporosis: Friend or Foe
- Fracture Prevention: A Team Approach
Primary Care Physicians, Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, and other members of the primary care health team.
At the end of the conference, participants should be able to:
- Describe the tools available to identify those at risk for fractures and how to use DXA exams for monitoring patients over time.
- Review the optimal nutrients and lifestyle modifications recommended to help promote bone health.
- Discuss challenging situations and individual patient cases that arise in clinical practice.
- Differentiate between the various medications available to treat osteoporosis and their potential side effects.
- Identify laboratory tests that can be useful in treating and monitoring patients with bone loss.
- Distinguish between the different types of fractures that may occur in the elderly and their clinical significance.
support of improving patient care, the Robert Larner MD College of
Medicine at the University of Vermont is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for
the healthcare team.
The University of Vermont designates this live activity for a maximum of 5.25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the
credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This Live activity, Osteoporosis Update for Primary Care, with a beginning date of 09/07/2018, has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 5.25 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This program has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 5.25 Nursing Contact Hours.
Determination of Pharmacotherapeutic credit is pending.
The conference syllabus will be available as an electronic download with presentations as PDF files (included with your registration fee). Please plan to bring your laptop or electronic device with you to the conference to view both the conference materials as well as to complete the online conference evaluations via the UVM CMIE credit system. You will receive an email notification (via the email you used to register for this conference) about a week prior to the conference start date that presentations will be available for downloading. Please note: printed syllabus, paper copies of evaluations and paper CMIE certificates will no longer be provided.
Registration Fee Summary
- $250 Physicians
- $175 NP, PA, Nurse, Other Healthcare Professionals
- $75 Medical Resident or Student with CME credit
- $25 Medical Resident or Student without CME credit
Enrollment is limited; please register by August 17, 2018. An additional $50 will be added after that date.
Refunds, less a $75 administrative fee, are available if cancellation is made prior to August 27, 2018. No refunds are possible after that date.
The conference will be held at the Hampton Inn in Colchester. Take Exit 16 from I89 and turn north on Route 7. Turn right onto Lower Mountain View Drive. Parking is available around the back of the hotel and enter at Entrance C.
Continental breakfast is provided, lunch is on your own.
Link to Registration site
CLICK HERE to register.